Apple Cyrillic fonts and Microsoft Office 98

Kjetil Ra Hauge K.R.Hauge at easteur-orient.uio.no
Thu Mar 18 09:04:13 UTC 1999

>George Fowler <gfowler at indiana.edu> wrote:

>Solution #1: To delink the keyboard and font, go to the Keyboard
>control panel, click Options, and uncheck the font/keyboard linkage
>checkbox. (I was wrong in my earlier posting in ascribing this
>linkage to Word; it is OS 8.5.x behavior.) I have done this on my
>machine, and it does NOT delink the font and keyboard, as Keith
>describes. I cannot understand this! Perhaps Kjetil Ra Hauge (who
>posted some very useful information in this thread) or someone else
>can explain why that isn't enough to delink them!

I have little first-hand experience with the programs involved, as I have
not upgraded to System 8 and use Word 98 only when I have no other coice,
but could it be that you  have at some time defined Word 98 as Cyrillic
with the Cyrillic Language Register program? In that case, it seems, the
program will still show menus in English, but will muster whatever
WorldScript-friendliness it has, regardless of the setting of the Text
control panel.