bear story

Geoffrey Chew uhwm006 at sun.rhbnc.ac.uk
Thu May 13 10:40:08 UTC 1999

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Edward M Dumanis wrote:

> I do not know the ballet but its name is somewhat associated with "Tri
> medvedja" (Three Bears") which is written by Count Leo Tolstoy, and, I
> might guess, is based on a folk tale.

No, according to the standard biography of Lambert, the (unpublished and
unperformed) ballet is about a series of animals who come on stage one by
one (mouse, frog, cat, etc) and enter a rotten treetrunk. The last animal
is a bear, who sits on the trunk, demolishing it and all the previous
dancers, and bringing the whole ballet to a rapid end...

 Geoffrey Chew
 Music Department, Royal Holloway College (University of London)
 Internet:       chew at sun.rhbnc.ac.uk