P.S. Gender linguistics

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at ualberta.ca
Sun Nov 7 14:50:47 UTC 1999

Ursula,
I printed out and had a quick look at your chapter. Extremely interesting .
. . it will need close reading.
But in pasing my eye stopped at section 6.2. and was disappointed (very
slightly) to see that the article
F. Dreizin & T. Priestly,  "A systematic approach to Russian obscene
language," Russian Linguistics 6: 233-249, 1982
was not mentioned. - This was Feliks Dreizin's work: I just helped out as a
very "junior" author (I helped him organize his thoughts in a few areas,
and tidied up his English). So if you wish to be critical, I shall not mind
*at all*. Nevertheless, having *never* had any reasctions to this article,
I would very much like to know what you think. Did you not mention it
deliberately? Or perhaps you never saw it? I shall be *very* grateful for
your honest opinion.
Maybe one of our (Feliks's and my) conclusions - that *mat* can be used in
*any* context, given volition - tends to negate some of your arguments? I
wonder.
Tom

*  Tom Priestly
*  Slavic & East European Studies
*  Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
*  University of Alberta
*  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E6

*  telephone:  780 - 492 - 5688
*  fax:               780 - 492 - 9106