Learning German to help access Russian materials?

AHetzer hetzer at uni-bremen.de
Wed Nov 10 08:40:13 UTC 1999

"Udut, Kenneth" schrieb:

> Oh, I'm always confused :-)
>
> It sounds absurd, and it probably
> is absurd - but the reason I ask
> (and I should learn to not be so darned vague),
> is that I have heard of a language learning
> method put together by a Vera F Birkenbihl,
> and someone recommended it to me as a way to
> furthur my Russian.  However, she wasn't sure
> if her materials were available in English.

Now, at last, we know what's the matter! Vera F. Birkenbihl is very
prolific in publishing courses and manuals for management training.
There is only one language training by her method ("neuro-linguistic" -
without memorizing!): English for business men. I do not know anything
about this method, because applied linguistics in this sense is not my
field. If someone promisses that learning a foreign language without
memorizing, I am very cautious. I know but the very traditional method
of putting a phrase book under the pillow and then sleeping on it.

BTW I am convinced that in the last event this is again something coming
from overseas, no real German invention. Perhaps someone on the list
knows more about the neuro-linguistic approach to learning Russian.

Kind regards
A.H.