Serbian/Croatian minimal pairs

Mark R. Lauersdorf mrldorf at open.org
Fri Nov 12 17:27:08 UTC 1999

Dear SEELangs members,

For a lecture that I am preparing in general phonetics/phonology, I am
interested in finding several minimal pairs (or even triplets or
quadruplets) of word forms in Serbian and/or Croatian that are distinguished
only by accent (long rising vs. long falling vs. short rising vs. short
falling), for example:

gra^d (long falling, = [Nom. sg. masc.] city, town)
vs.
grad (short falling, = [Nom. sg. masc.] hail)

Please indicate accent type as well as full grammatical information and
translation for each item (my access to Serbia/Croatian reference materials
is presently limited, so I would probably be unable to fill in this type of
information myself).

Please respond to me directly at:

mrldorf at open.org

Thanks in advance.