Plato and art censorship (fwd)

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at spcorp.com
Fri Nov 19 13:41:34 UTC 1999

Censorship a "Russian" thing?

[warning - Rant below - please delete as
I'm certainly way out of line here]

Oy, kak zhal!

Great Britain and United States, for two, are
absolute lovers of censorship, moreso, I would say,
than Tsarist Russia!

Which is the culture that tried to 'clean up' Shakespeare
and take out all of the 'naughty bits' back in the late 19th
century?

Which culture had woman writers having to pretend to be
men in order to be published?

Which culture had witch trials?

Which culture claims freedom of speech
but only puts it into practice for approved
types of speech?

Pot calling the kettle black, I think.  Communist
Russia far far worse than Tsarist Russia ever was,
especially with censorship!

Historians as well as TV news reporters alike, seem to get
a perverse pleasure from pointing out the awful things in
a culture not their own.

The fly will see only the manure and not the flowers, but the bee will
see flowers, and not the manure the flowers are growing out of.

[for example, repeated TV reports about "Russian mafia",
as if they ran the whole show, and everything is corrupt.
This would be akin to making the *whole* United States seem
like it was run by the Chinese Mafia, just because the Chinese
Mafia do the exact same thing in the various Chinatowns,
that Russian mafia does in certain Russian cities.

But the United States is not controlled by a mafia,
and Russia is not controlled by a mafia.

Still, this is the impression one gets from the United
States, anyhow.  If you can't kill your enemy, speak badly
about him to others, and you will give him a slower,
more painful death.

Apologies for the rant above.  I have a certain love
for at least Tsarist Russia, and get tired of the same
communist rewrites of history being repeated.

--
-- Kenneth.Udut at SPCORP.COM