Plato and art censorship (fwd)

Jules Levin amelie at ucr.campuscw.net
Fri Nov 19 16:30:10 UTC 1999

  Adassovsky Georges wrote:

>I don't agree. Of course some form of censorship existed in Tsarist Russia,
>it was the same sort of censorship that existed in any nation in Europe at
>the same time, and it have nothing to compare with the Soviet censorship,
>that was worse while all other nations were in progress.
>I can give you a lot of writtings that passed the tsarist censorship, and
>that would never had passed the Soviet censorship.

Exactly!  The tsarist censor passed Das Kapital, and maybe Darwin, for all I
know.  And didn't the Police Commissioner of New York--Teddy Roosevelt--try
to censor The Kreutzer Sonata when it arrived (from England?).

Jules F. Levin
Professor of Linguistics and Russian
University of California, Riverside
JFLEVIN at UCRAC1.UCR.EDU