songs about Siberia

Wayles Browne ewb2 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:30:16 UTC 1999

There are a lot of songs about people being exiled
to Siberia, some of them actually rather cheerful.
Maybe someone knows the missing words in these:

Chupchik, chupchik, chupchik kucherjavyj,
Razve mozhno chupchik ne ljubit'?
Nu chtozh, Sibir', Sibiri ne bojusja,
Sibir' ved' tozhe russkaja zemlja...

[from a recording by Theodore Bikel]

Pomnju, pomnju, pomnju ja
kak menja mat' ljubila,
i ne raz, i ne dva
ona mne tak govorila:
Ne xodi v tot konec,
ne vodis' s vorami;
V Sibir' katorgoj soshljut,
Skujut kandalami.
Sbrejut dlinnyj volos tvoj
Vplot' do samoj shei,
Po matushke po Rasei [sic].

>Dear colleagues,
>
>I'm looking for folk or popular songs dealing with Siberia (for a course
>entitled "Siberia in the Russian Imagination").  A few examples so far:
>
>"Po dikim stepiam Zabaikal'ia..."
>"Slavnoe more--sviashchennyi Baikal"
>"Gukhoi, nevedomoi taigoiu..."
>
>Any additions you can suggest would be much appreciated.  Sources for words
>and music would also be terrific.
>Many thanks,
>Alex Ogden
>

>     ***PLEASE SEND MAIL TO MY E-MAIL ALIAS, OGDEN at SC.EDU***
>
>--------------------------------
>Dr. J. Alexander Ogden
>Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
>Department of Germanic, Slavic & East Asian
>         Languages and Literatures
>University of South Carolina
>Columbia, SC 29208
>(803) 777-9573
>ogden at sc.edu

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 321, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)