Demonstratives?

Valentina Zaitseva vz2 at is.nyu.edu
Fri Nov 26 23:35:18 UTC 1999

Michael,
I remember that similar problewm was discussed in Herman Parret's article
of 1991 "Deixis and shifters after Jakobson", in: New vistas in grammar:
Invariance and Variation, ed. by Linda Waugh & Stephen Rudy.
Among other things, Parret is talking about non-referential uses of deixis.
In terms of Yokoyama's TDM, the specific example you are quoting, I think,
can be viewed as  a code item signalling the presence of propositional
knowledge and the lack of specificational one, i.e. a code "filler" for a
propositional term.
 The interesting part remaining unaccounted for "pogovorit' o tom o sem" is
the "ottenok" in the speaker's perspective: "nothing particularly
important."

Best,
Valentina Zaitseva, NYU