Sesame Street/Pooh and the like

Richard Robin rrobin at gwu.edu
Mon Nov 29 14:11:58 UTC 1999

Sesame Street videos are easily available in Russia. I have not seen them in
the U.S., (i.e. Kamkin's-DC or street stores in Brooklyn) perhaps because of
copyright issues. But you might want to try the usual sources:
http://www.rbcvideo.com and http://www.russianshopping.com. Since
Russianshopping has some of their stuff shipped directly from partners inside
Russia, maybe one of the partners has it.

BUT... The question is, does anyone have it in the U.S. NTSC TV standard?
Chances are if you find it through Russianshopping, it's sure to be NTSC. But
an NTSC version might be hard to find. If you are willing to risk ordering
directly from Russia, you'll probably end up with a PAL version of the tape.
(All VHS tapes sold for the Russian market are in PAL, while all over-the-air
broadcasting is done in SECAM.) Playing a PAL tape in the U.S. requires one of
three things:

1.  Using a PAL-capable VCR and a PAL-capable TV. Many universities provide
access to multi-standard equipment that can do this.
2.  Play it on a multisystem-converting VCR. These VCRs can play PAL onto a
"normal" NTSC U.S. market TV. They also allow you to copy the tape onto a U.S.
NTSC VCR. (The resulting copy is American NTSC). These VCRs cost $400-$500. 3.
Alternatively, you could take the tape to a commercial service and have it
converted. ($15-$40 in most U.S. cities).

--
Richard Robin - http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~rrobin
German and Slavic Dept.