Nachalo survey

Eileen C. Thurman thurmchcs at juno.com
Mon Nov 29 17:45:37 UTC 1999

        In my original question, I did not ask how many times a week the class
meets, nor how many hours of credit are given.  That is indeed a valid
question to be sure we are not comparing apples to oranges.  Some of
those who replied did include how often the class meets, so here is the
information I have:
        Syracuse U              3x a week + one conversation session
        Auburn U                4x a week + one lab day with assigned activities
        U of Georgia            4x a week
        U of Calif Santa Barbara        5x a week
        Berkeley                        5x a week
        U of NC Chapel Hill     3x a week + one conversation session

        I received one additional response, from DePauw U., where they cover 5
chapters each semester, which changes the average from 6.25 to exactly 6
chapters per semester.
        Genevra Gerhart commented "We also need to know the extent to which the
goal was achieved: what can the students actually read, write, speak or
'appreciate'?"
That would be nice, but how? As a hectic high school teacher with 6
preparations, who is just  trying to figure out how much I should cover
in my Russian 1 and 2 classes, I am not even going to touch that
question.  If someone else wants to try, or to collect information or
what percentage enrolled for the next course, more power to you.
        Thanks to all who responded.