Symbols for soft signs

Alexey I. Fuchs c0654038 at techst02.technion.ac.il
Wed Oct 6 14:36:29 UTC 1999

Hi!

For years I've been talking to my friends with the UNIX ntalk program, on
the chats, I've been sending e-mails - all in russian. I cannot remember
any other representation of a soft sign than "'" symbol. I think that in
the light of persistency of common usage you should take this symbol.
Of course, sometimes russians use "b" to represent the soft sign, but it's
irony. (Hy, KAK TbI, KAKuE HOBOCTu?)

There is no problem with this sign, the apostrophy does not coincide with
any other sign representation, and the Gogol issue has almost nothing to
do with transliteration, from my point of view. English
versions of russian names must follow the pronouncation, not the original
orthography.

                                        Regards, Alexey