translation software

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 7 12:55:59 UTC 1999

I agree with the masses, that translation software just isn't
sophisticated enough to be used for more than a word or two of translation
when you're stuck w/o a dictionary.  Although I *do* use it as an example
for my students of why you can't translate word-for-word between
languages.  The students usually find it pretty amusing.

It will be interesting to see if translation software *ever* gets to the
point that it can handle the subtle nuances of language.

Devin

Devin P Browne
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu