Helpwithsomequestions?

Gerald McCausland gmmst11+ at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 7 13:51:19 UTC 1999

--On Thursday, October 07, 1999, 10:10 AM +0400 Denis Akhapkine
<denis at DA2938.spb.edu> wrote:

> Dear Zita,
..
> A mozhno kupit' s ruk piratskij CD-ROM s
> polnoj milicejskoj (ukradennoj iz milicii:( bazoj dannyh adresov
> i telephonov zhitelej Peterburga (stoit okolo $3)

These have existed for Moscow since at least 1996. I imagine the same goes
for many Russian cities.

To go beyond Zita's original question, it is important to know that these
widely available CD-ROMs are fully searchable databases and will provide an
address for any city telephone number. Students on study-abroad programs,
particularly those living in rented apartments, need to be aware that these
days, when you give someone your phone number, you are giving them the
means not only to ring you up, but also to show up at your doorstep.

Jerry.

Jerry McCausland
University of Pittsburgh
gmmst11+ at pitt.edu