"Universal Translator"

Lindsey Taxman ltaxman at ucsj.com
Wed Oct 20 20:33:58 UTC 1999

I thought that this was appropriate information in light of today's
'heated' discussion.  I just received the following information from one of
our board members.  I will pass on her comments and also the information
that she sent regarding the software.  I hope this can be of some use to you.

Lindsey Taxman

>I've just purchased a promotional software item that is advertised on AOL
>Shop Direct (800-884-3372) that I'd like to bring to your attention. It's
>called Univeral Translator-costs $29.95, plus $5.60 shipping and handling.
It
>is identified as item #11265. There's a $30.00 mail in rebate which must be
>received by the vendor by November 1, 1999-which means that the item is
>"free" and it must be ordered quickly in order to comply with the rebate
>terms.  You can  click on <A HREF="http://www.languageforce.com/">Language
>Translation Software by LanguageForce</A> to get additional information. It
>is essentially being offered as a free item by the vendor to reach potential
>customers.
>
>However, there is a deluxe version, Universal Translator 2000 (for 40
>languages), which includes OCR software, as well as word processing, and is
>Office 2000 compliant.  For Russian, there's a program which is now
>included-The Russian Power Tools which includes Grammar Support Sentence
>Structure. Ukrainian does not have a separate Grammar Support program, but
>there is a Polish Grammar program that will be ready soon.
>The retail price is $149.00 and $15.00 for shipping. The group discount will
>be $50.00 off the retail price.  I'm told by Dennis, the VP of Direct Sales
>(LanguageForce, Inc. at 1-888-837-8887at Extension 204 ), to please identify
>yourselves as a member of UCSJ to get the reduced price of $100.00 plus mail
>and handling.  I've placed my order with him today so I cannot tell you how
>well the program works.

--UCSJ Board Member

> [...]
>   read and convert to text files.  It preserves formatting, spreadsheets
>and
>   reads all document types, including faxes.  The Universal OCR is able to
>   recognize all the languages on the Universal Translator 2000; except
>Arabic,
>   Chinese, Farsi, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese.  We do
>   have OCR's for Chinese and Japanese at $149.00 each language.
>* Total Voice Solutions - Using Microsoft Voice technology, UT 2000 offers
>direct
>   dictation into all UT 2000 applications.
>* Translate Foreign Web Pages - All formatting, link, and graphics remain
>intact
>    from your original text.  UT 2000 even supports the latest in WEB page
>creation
>    including XML, dynamic HTML, and cascading style sheets.
>* Omni Directional - Translate over 1560 language pair combinations and
>translate
>   directly from one language into the other without using English as an
>integral step.
>* Automatic Push Button Translation for documents, e-mail and web pages with
>   modifiable dictionaries.
>* Type in all 40 languages using your favorite word processor
>* Spell Checking for 35 languages
>* Great New Learning Games - Such as Space Attach and WordTris
>* Works Right Inside Office 97 and Office 2000 - Click on the menu bar or
>click
>   on one of the tool bar icons and your documents are instantly translated
>into any one
>   of 40 languages.  You can even send E-mail messages to Outlook right
>through the
>   Universal Translator 2000 Editor.
>* Unicode and True Type Font Support
>
>We are convinced that these innovations will meet or exceed your
>expectations.
>You can take advantage of this superior technology for only $149.00!
>
>We are committed to our customers to provide the highest in quality and
>service.  We will deliver the functionality "you need" with the cost savings
>"you want."
>
>Grammar support from English to the Foreign Language and from the Foreign
>Language to English (Level II.5) can be purchased for $97.00 per language.
>The Level II is available for Chinese Simplified, Chinese  Traditional,
>Danish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian,
>Spanish and Swedish at $97.00 per language.
>
>System Requirements
>* P166 or faster processor
>* Windows 95/98/2000/NT
>* 16 MB RAM (32 MB Ram recommended)
>* 4-20 MB of Hard Drive Space per Languages installed (545 MB to install all
>40
>   languages)
>* CD-Rom Drive
>* Mouse or other pointing device
>* Sound Card & Microphone for Dictation (64 MB Ram recommended)

For more information on Jews and human rights in the former Soviet Union,
please contact ucsj at ucsj.com or visit us on the web at
http://www.fsumonitor.com.
Union of Councils for Soviet Jews
1819 H Street, NW Suite 230