No subject

David Paul Brokaw cinkhars at pol.com
Wed Oct 20 20:45:53 UTC 1999

Dear SEELangers,

I have forgotten some of the information that is the basis of the discussion
that has been taking place on this list.  Why can I open and read an
attachment to an e-mail written in Cyrillic and an html file attachment in
an e-mail written in Cyrillic, but I cannot read the text of an e-mail that
has been written in Cyrillic.  There is no problem reading the text of a
website written in Cyrillic and writing an e-mail in Cyrillic.  Why can I
read the attachment in Cyrillic from a given person when I cannot read the
text of an e-mail in Cyrillic from the same person?

When I receive an attachment in Cyrillic, all I have to do is open the
attachment, highlight the text, and set the language to Ukrainian or
Russian-the two languages I use at work.  The text switches from something
that looks like curse words in the comic strips to Cyrillic.  When I try the
same technique with the text of an e-mail, the text just laughs at me.  If
you listen closely enough, you can hear the giggles.

I assume that something is lost when the information is sent.  But if the
information is in KIO8 or 1251(CP1251?) when it is sent, where does the
encoding(?) get lost?  Is it like the fall of the yers, and I really do not
want to know ?

I thank you for any assistance and apologize for any inconvenience.

Dave Brokaw, Office Manager
Cincinnati-Kharkiv Sister City Project