davno

Alex as at ticom.kharkov.ua
Thu Oct 21 23:44:59 UTC 1999

Dear SEELANGS members,

I'm so sorry about making such a fuss. 30 letters just for two days!
More than for the whole previous week...

I will try to explain myself. But first I'd like to thank Richard, Stephen,
Andrew, Georges and all of you who supported me.

> Sasha is right, one can't find the exact translation without using such
> words as "uzhe" or "bolshe".
> Georges

Thank you Georges for responding to my letter. I was disappointed a little
about the response on the form of my letter rather than its contents.
Even those who was able to read it said nothing about my explanation...
Actually I'm not a linguist - just a humble native speaker. And I'm very
worried about low Russian standards here in the former SU. I was going
to discuss with you some issues that may be better seeing from a distance...

Now about your complaints.

Dear Mr. Tsuji, it seems you are not a very friendly person. You sent
me quite impolite messages before... Are you sure the SEELANGS mailing
list is moderated? Have you read 'help' or FAQ? When I subscribed to
this list I downloaded some amount of archived letters and read them
carefully - to see what is going on in here.

Actually, you are really able to filter messages as suggested Neil -
remove them immediately when you see they came from Alex. Or even
delete all messages containing 8 bit encoding.

Thank you Richard for helping me to solve the problem with cyrillic.
It was you who inspired me to use genuine Russian in SEELANGS. I saw
it for the first time in your letter and was excited by that. Then
I found out that to send a proper encoding to the list I should 'tune'
my Netscape to the 'quoted-printable' option. And to receive right
cyrillic the 'as is' option is good enough. I ensured that SEELANGS
server is able to pass the cyrillic without spoiling. The problem with
spoiled cyrillic may be in the local providers of list members.

And even if you 'filtered out' failed letter don't be too frustrated.
You may retrieve it from the archive whenever you wish later. You
may change your settings and try again. If you have no time for that
just write to me and I will send you a gif graphic file...

OK, that's enough for today. I'll try to tell you later why I hate
transliteration.

Bye for now

Alex