Russian for traveling

Becky Post bpost at fflax.net
Fri Oct 29 22:10:43 UTC 1999

Elizabeth,

I've taught such a course.  I don't know if there's an adequate textbook
for this.  I usually try to have 10  one- or one-and-a-half-  hour classes.
I teach them the alphabet so they can read signs, maps, etc.  My students
have all done homestays, so I teach them to talk a bit about their
families.  They brings family photos with them to Russia.   Of course they
learn to introduce themselves, too.  I also teach them food words and how
to buy things in the stores, using simple sentences.  "Skol'ko eto stoit?.
. . .Napishite, pozhaluista."  "Ya khochu kupit'. . . . ", etc.  I've done
these classes with adults and teen-agers.  I usually make audiotapes so
they can listen in their cars.

Becky Post
La Crosse,WI.