lectures on ethnic & religious conflicts in FSU

alesta at banet.net alesta at banet.net
Sun Oct 31 23:16:32 UTC 1999

Dear SEELANGers,

Perhaps an opportunity to host these talks would be of interest to some of you.
The following is a copy of a post to Johnson's Russia List, being posted here on behalf of Mr. Rotar.

Elena Rosenberg
NYU

From: "Igor Rotar" <rotar at glas.apc.org>
Date:   Sat, 30 Oct 1999

My name is Igor Rotar. I am a
correspondent with the Nezavisimaya gazeta (Moscow) and an  analyst for The
Jamestown Foundation.  I plan to be in Washington DC from November 12-16. I
hope to give a talk at Johns Hopkins on the 16th.  On the 17th -,18  I am
to speak at Boston University.  After Nov. 20, I will be in California
before 15 January. I am wondering if any JRL recipients, who are at
universities, research centers, etc. would be interested in having me talk
on the subjects below? I would be very grateful if I could arrange any
lecture opportunities in California after 1 December or in East Coast
before 1 December.. My main expertise is in ethnic and religious conflicts
on the territory of the former USSR. As a journalist I have worked in all
"hot spots" of the former USSR:  Chechnya, Dagestan, Tadjikistan (more than
15 visits), Abkhazia, Moldova, North Ossetia (more than 10 visits) and also
in conflict regions in Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Zaire and Ruanda.  More
than 300 articles of my articles have been published in Nezavisimaya gazeta
and Izvestiya. My monograph "Islam and War: the North Caucasus and the
Central Asia"  was published in 1999 (Unfortunately, it's only appeared in
Russian).  In addition, I have published more than 30 articles in
Jamestown's Prism, The Crossroad (reviews of the Jamestown foundation),
several articles in "The Perspective" edited by the Institute of Conflict
(Boston)  and in  the review "The War Report" (the Institute of Peace,
Great Britain). I'm also writing daily for The Monitor (E-mail newspaper of
The Jamestown Foundation).
Some possibile lecture topics:
1. The Islamic radicals  in the former Soviet  Union.
2. The ethnic-political situation in the Caucasus (or Central Asia)
3. The new Russian policy  in Chechnya.
4. The influence Russian-Chechen  war  on the ethnic-political situation
in  the  Caucasus.  I would be grateful if any interested parties could get
in touch with me.
Sincerely yours,
Igor Rotar.
E-mail: rotar at glas.apc.org
tel: 7-095-218-23-22

telephone and E-mail in USA(after 20 November)
tel. 1-619-6379059
E-mail:vrotar at euclid.ucsd.edu