Czech accents in Microsoft Word

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:09:09 UTC 1999

At 23:13 1999/09/09 -0500, David Kaiser wrote:
>Is it possible to get *capital* letters with diacritics using the Windows
>97 features?

Yes.  Using the Win9x keyboard, & MSoft's WGL4 fonts, one can make PRILIS
(or PRISERNE, depending on taste) ZLUTOUCKY KUN UPEL DABELSKE ODY with all
the diacritics in caps just as well as in lower case (using Word, WordPad,
AmiPro, WordPro, etc., but not WP8 - which wants to use only its own
symbols, not the WGL4 character sets - although the WGL4 sets work fine in
WPWin 5.2, also).  (Just use the non-spacing diacritic first, then the
capital.)  The download page for Microsoft's WGL4 font sets is
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm. I've never
bothered to remap the keyboard from the Czech or French layout back to
AmEnglish; I find it easy enough to just remember to switch my z's and y's
(or a's & q's, etc., as the case may be).

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
mailto:tritt002 at tc.umn.edu