Russia today

Henryk Baran hebaran at ibm.net
Mon Sep 13 03:54:19 UTC 1999

Emily, I think that Johnson's List, for all its undoubted usefulness, is
very one-sided; reading it one gets the impression that all in Russia is
doom and gloom.  That totally overlooks just how much, in spite of the
terrible financial situation, is going on in culture, in various areas of
scholarship, and even in some areas of science.  In so many ways Russia
remains an intellectually intense place, and that is something students, and
all of us, would do well to remember in these difficult times.
Henryk Baran
University at Albany, SUNY
hebaran at ibm.net; hbaran at cnsvax.albany.edu
hbaran at mail.fipc.ru