Russia today

Dawn Adele Pointer daper at umich.edu
Mon Sep 13 06:20:46 UTC 1999

Dear Ms.Tall and uvazhaemye SEELANGStsy,

I was hoping someone would make the point I was thinking about when I read
your question and the posted replies, but I guess I'll have to make it
myself (and since I'm not usually a contributor to the discussions here,
I'm a little nervous putting my two cents in :).

I think the point made about looking at the culture of Russian individuals
is where the important answer lies, but not only in talking about warmth
and social tradition.  I work for the Center for Citizen Initiatives, a San
Francisco based non-profit that organizes group training programs for
Russian entrepreneurs (www.igc.org/cci).  In the 15 years CCI has been
bringing Russians to the US to learn about US business practices, most
recently through our Productivity Enhancement Program, the Russians have
taken home with them new ideas and skills for running their companies well,
in economic, environmental, organizational and social respects.  The
program is based on the Marshall Plan, and we're very excited about the
differences we see it make in the lives of the people involved (both
Russian and American), who really want to make a difference in the future
of Russia.

Of course we all know about the situation the government and the banks are
in. But just because these notoriously problematic institutions are not
taking the fore in a movement does not mean that the Russian people are not
taking steps of their own.  And just because there isn't money in the banks
doesn't mean there aren't mattresses full of American dollars all over
Russia.  We're seeing bottom-up organization taking root in many areas of
the country (we have offices in St. Petersburg, Voronezh, Volgograd,
Rostov-na-Donu, Ekaterinburg,and Vladivostok), as people are moving forward
with their businesses, forming community volunteer and action groups, and
getting involved in local politics.

There was an article recently in the New York Times I think it was, about
business owners in the far north who are building a stable economic
environment for themselves through local business and trade, instead of
waiting for the government to pass one to them.  This is in line with the
opinion that the crisis was the best thing that could have happened for the
Russian economy.

There is also currently a program called the Russian Leadership Program,
about which some of you may have heard, sponsored by the Library of
Congress.  The RLP is focusing on bringing young, relatively green Russian
politicians to the US to see, and learn from, how our democracy does and
doesn't work.  And there are many other programs around the US devoted to
helping Russia heal from the inside out.

So, to sum up, the view from the ground is very positive.  We can't forget
that there are still issues, many of them deeply entrenched, that must be
addressed by the Russian people, but we (at CCI and the Russians we work
with) feel that we're heading in a helpful, and hopeful, direction.

It's always important to take the news (tv, newspapers, Johnson's report,
etc.) with a grain of salt.  If all I believed about the US was what is
reported in the media, I'd probably run away screaming.  Luckily, I know
we're not *really* all that bad.  :)

Hope this has been helpful.  If you're interested in learning more about
CCI (shameless plug) you can check out our website at
http://www.igc.org/cci , or call (415) 561-7777.

Sincerely,
Dawn Pointer

*******