Self-Taught Bulgarian

Wayles Browne ewb2 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 15 19:12:35 UTC 1999

>Dear SEELANGers,
>
>I am looking to begin a self-instructed course in introductory Bulgarian,
>and was wondering:
>Can anybody recommend a good text/tape set for this?

I like Julija Antonova & Elga Kirjakova, Govorite li b'lgarski? Videokurs,
Sofia: "Nauka i izkustvo" publishers, 1991--with videotapes. Very
realistic and well-chosen material. (They do warn you that it was
done in 1989, that is, before the recent political changes.)

If you already know Russian, a good book for learning to read Bulgarian
is Charles E. Gribble, Reading Bulgarian through Russian, Slavica Publishers
1987.

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 321, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)