Russian Video of Gogol's "Viy"??

David J. Galloway djg11 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 23 01:58:22 UTC 1999

Seelangers,

I'm trying to track down a video of Gogol's "Viy" that I saw a few years
ago, but have since lost all reference to.  I'm afraid I can't remember
much, but here's what I know:

1.  It's a Russian short film, without subtitles.
2.  I think it was pre-1980's--production values were not fantastic,but it
was still a good film.

If you know of this film or of any other Russian film version of "Viy" I'd
be thrilled to hear of it, especially if you have any info on how to get a
hold of a copy.  This version, from what I remember, is excellent for
classes in translation--even though it had no subtitles, anyone who has
read the story can follow it (especially in the flying-coffin climax).

Please respond to me offline at djg11 at cornell.edu.

Thanks,

David J. Galloway
Dept. of Russian Literature
236 Goldwin Smith Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Tel: (607) 255-8350
Fax:  (607) 255-1454
Email:  djg11 at cornell.edu

AATSEEL Intensive Language Programs page:
http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~aatseel/intensive-programs/index.html
AATSEEL Endangered Programs page:
http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~aatseel/endangered-programs/index.html