fair use

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at spcorp.com
Mon Sep 27 12:38:51 UTC 1999

That's a tricky situation.  I think part of the
problem is that a lot of professors -do- abuse
the venerable xerox machine, and nobody wants a lawsuit :)

One class I took in '90, the course book material was
entirely xerox copied from several small, but expensive,
textbooks, spiralbound into one volume, for the student's
usage.  Even then, I thought that was a bit abusive of
the system.

I think you can contact the author of the books in
question, or the publishers - and get him/her/them to fax you an
'okay to xerox x pages' statement.  I could be entirely wrong
about this, of course, but it's worth a shot. After all, when
dealing with books and such, it always boils down to people,
since somebody wrote the book, somebody published the book,
somebody marketed the book, etc.

The trouble, of course, is bureaucracy, which means: people
who don't want to do what you would like them to do, and have
a good excuse for not doing it ['sorry, ma'am, it's the rules']

           Kenneth Udut
Kenneth.Udut at SPCORP.COM