fair use

J. Rouhier-Willoughby jrouhie at pop.uky.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:49:44 UTC 1999

>Responding to both Tall and Udut:
>
>Section 107 of the Copyright Law of the U.S. covers fair use and is
>somewhat ambiguous. There are four factors that determine fair use:
>character of the use (commercial or non-profit; research or not); nature of
>the work to be copied; "amount" and "substantiality" of the copied portion;
>and, impact of the use on the "potential market for or value of the
>copyrighted work."

I have been told by my reserve librarian that having materials on reserve
also violates the fair use policy. Therefore, next year, I will not be
allowed to put any books or articles on reserve without permission. Has
anyone else had this problem?  JRW

Jeanmarie Rouhier-Willoughby              (606) 257-1756
Department of Russian and Eastern Studies
1055 Patterson Office Tower      jrouhie at pop.uky.edu
University of Kentucky         http://www.uky.edu/~jrouhie/
Lexington, KY 40506-0027          fax:  (606) 257-3743