etymology of Belarus

Pavel Samsonov p0s5658 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Wed Dec 6 16:28:39 UTC 2000

> I am in doubt that the inhabitants of the Ancient Rus' had any knowledge
> about the White Sea at that time. Is there any evidence of that?

The regions adjacent to the White Sea have been largely populated since
Neolith. This is a very rich area in terms of soils, animals and fish. So
although Pomory (Russians who moved to that region) may have strarted living
there since 15 th century, there is no way the place was unknown to Russians
much earlier.

Pavel Samsonov
Txas A&M University