Roots ending in "X" ("hard H") tend towards disgust?

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at SPCORP.COM
Tue Feb 8 19:54:00 UTC 2000

Greetings SEELANGers!

Just the other day, I received Gribble's Russian Root List
(Thanks George!), and after a cursory glance at the roots,
a thought came to mind:

It seems that many of the roots ending in X ('Kh', the almost
coughing-like sound) seem to indicate things that are of
disgust.... unpleasant things, distasteful things, things that
are quite yucky for a decent person to even to think about...

Does this appear to be the case?

I can give examples if necessary, but I figure that this
must be a common enough observation that y'all would receive
in your classes from your students.

Thank you!

-Kenneth

--
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing
at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the