a few questions

clark troy mct7 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Feb 8 23:40:57 UTC 2000

Dear all,

After months of intermittent poking around in libraries and asking
individual scholars, I've found no answers to a number of questions that
are bugging me, so I'll put them to the kollektiv.  I'm working on an
article on parks in 19th century literature, and I'm particularly
interested in the administrative history of royal holdings:  when do
spaces like Tsarytsino, Sokol'niki, Pavlovsk, and the Tsarskoe Selo parks
become accessible to the public, and what prompts their opening?  What of
Letnii Sad in St. Petersburg?  Was there a history of selective access for
court members?

Any ideas or references would be helpful.  Please respond off-list.

Clark Troy
The Harriman Institute
Columbia University