Stress question

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Wed Feb 16 11:33:58 UTC 2000

As I recall--the details may be in Unbegaun's book on Russian
surnames, which I don't have at hand--a core of Russian names ending
in -skij/-skoj belonged to appanage princes, with the -skij element
being attached to a place name associated with the appanage.  The
example that comes most readily to mind is <Vjazemskij>, with the
stress on the first syllable, from <Vyaz'ma>.  Hence the aristocratic
associations of certain names ending in this suffix.  Of course,
<Tolstoj> is most likely just an accentual variant of <tolstyj> and
has nothing to do with appanage princes.

Re the name <Bobrinskoj>--I remember hearing--from Bill Darden I
think--that the Univ. of Chicago Slavist and South Asian scholar
George Bobrinskoy actually stressed his name on the first syllable.
The spelling with <-oy> is etymologically accurate, if non-standard.
I note that Morton Benson's _Dictionary of Russian Personal Names_
stresses <Bobrinskij> on the first syllable.

Jim Rader