Can you help with my Index?

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sun Feb 20 19:30:30 UTC 2000

Dear friends:

Let me assure you that I have not forgotten my Index. And I want to
thank those of you who have written to me about it, asking that I list
their sites and in general expressing their appreciation for it and
encouraging me to continue it.

The problem is a technical one: I have been using Linux (which is a free
clone of Unix) since last spring. I am very pleased with it as are
millions of users who are now switching to it from Windows and Mac all
over the world, including Russia.

Last fall I began looking around for a suitable Linux/Unix program,
which would allow me to resume updating my index. I found several.
Unfortunately, though I am quite proficient by now in running my Linux
computer and have a good basic grounding in HTML (and reference books,
to boot), I find these programs to be above my head. The manuals tend to
be written more like a reference grammar than a textbook. I've tried to
contact a number of people in my Linux community the past several
months. Some have been very kind to explain certain features of the
programs to me, but, as well-intentioned as they may be, it's always a
kind of deductive presentation. The problem is that they cannot see my
problem: everything is so obvious to them. Or else they cannot spare the
time to teach a non-techie outsider. No doubt there are native speakers
of Russian (or English, for that matter) who may find it equally
puzzling why anyone should have any problem with their mother tongue.
After all, it's all so "natural."

The computer programs I have in mind (2 or 3) range -- from the point of
view of the computer professional, so far as I can guess -- from the
relatively simple to the moderately difficult.

I am making a general appeal to ask if any of you are Unix/Linux
programmers on the side or know someone who is who might be willing and
able to lend me a hand. I am eager to learn how to use the programs in
question and I think that, with minimal step-by-step guidance (perhaps
several 15 minute sessions by phone or by ICQ or by email), I should be
able to determine which program is right for the modest needs of my
index and to learn how use it, configure it and run it.

If you know of anyone, please get in touch with me privately.

Thank you so much.

Benjamin

P. S. By the way, I have two telephone lines, so this should make
communication much easier and more pleasant.

--
Benjamin and Anna Sher
sher07 at bellsouth.net
Sher's Russian Web