ruthenia.news

R_L roman at ADMIN.UT.EE
Wed Feb 23 21:27:56 UTC 2000

At 16:11 23.02.00 -0400, you wrote:
-----------------------
>Sender:       Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
>              <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
>Poster:       Robert De Lossa <rdelossa at FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: ruthenia.news
----

>Anyone out there as perplexed by this use of "Ruthenia" as I am? Comments
>on what "Ruthenia" means to contemporary Russian scholars would be
>appreciated.
>
>Best,
>
>Rob De Lossa
Dear Rob,
in fact "Ruthenia" was the name of Russian students' corporation in
Yuriev/Dorpat/Tartu.
I've received the letters of many collegues, who expressed their doubts in
our server's name (which is just a quasi-Latin equivalent to "Russia"),
because usually it is assotiated with "Carpato-Ruthenia" (Karpatskaja Rus').
Meanwile, the name of chemical element Ruthenium (discovered by Russian
scientist Karl Klaus :) - http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/ru.html)
has nothing to do with Uzhgorod.
Sincerely,

Roman Leibov
Vene kirjanduse kat., Ulikooli 18-a, Tartu Ulikool, Tartu, 50605,
Estonia
Day phone: (3727)375353
Home address:
Po^hja pst. 17-75. Tartu. 50605. Estonia
Phone: (3727)339478