Ruthenia vs Russia

R_L roman at ADMIN.UT.EE
Thu Feb 24 15:33:22 UTC 2000

Well, I would prefer the discussion about ruthenia.ru...
But I understand this lexicological hazard.

http://www.chem.msu.su:8081/rus/history/element/ru.html

Let us ask the question: why Klaus have decided to call the new element
Ruthenium? This question would help us to return back to our modest project
(and its name) rather than references to multilingual sources and quoting
from generations of 'ruthenia'-users -- from Saxo Grammaticus to
ukrainophobe Volkonsky and his modern students (cf.
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Parliament/9677/volkon.html#3. Слово
Рутения).
R_L