Innocent=not knowing

Leslie Farmer Zemedelec at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 24 18:12:24 UTC 2000

While studying Czech for a year in Brno, I saw a lot of devils in folk
art--and, around Mikulas (Dec 6) a positive glut of the creatures in
chocolate and foil (I was tempted and fell). Not to mention the ones walking
the streets with Sv. Mikulas and angels. I brought back children's coloring
books and party favors featuring devils--all this in more-Catholic Moravia.

 I can't imagine coming upon such a feature in the US, except around
Halloween--and even then literal-minded (if not simple-minded) Christians
raise...er....about the "satanic" aspects of the holiday.