Russian textbooks 1945-1955

David Brandenberger dbranden at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 3 17:18:44 UTC 2000

> From: "edraitse at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu" <edraitse at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu>

> Does anybody have an idea where and how I could get hold of
> Russian textbooks of 1945-1955. I need to look at Rodnaia
> rech', Xrestomatia po russkoi literature, and history books
> for those years. Any suggestions?

These books are quite hard to locate in the states, although
they are all available in major Russian libraries.  Widener
Library at Harvard has:

Rodnaia rech: kniga dlia chteniia v III klasse for 1946 and '47;
Shestakov's Kratkii kurs istorii SSSR for 1945, '47 and '52;
and a Krestomatiia po russkoi literature from 1952 which seems
aimed at older students.

In my personal collection, I have a Rodnaia rech': kniga dlia
chteniia v II klasse for 1946 and perhaps one more edition
of Shestakov's history text.  There's also Nasha velikaia rodina.
Many of these I treat in my 1999 dissertation "The 'Short Course'
to Modernity: stalinist history textbooks, mass culture and the
formation of modern Russian national identity, 1934-1956."  Feel
free to contact me off-list.

Regards,
David Brandenberger

Harvard University        Department of History
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbranden/index.html

                           **** ATTENTION ****

The SEELANGS list is moving servers on January 3, 2000.  Please visit the
following URL for a complete description of the changes and how you will
be affected:

                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/