SEELANGS Digest - 4 Jan 2000 to 5 Jan 2000 (#2000-4)

Leaver at AOL.COM Leaver at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 6 05:36:12 UTC 2000

Rich, Irene, Ben --

I did not mean to imply that any university program was likely to produce
students at level 3 or 4 in writing (or in any skill for that matter)!
However, not only university professors read this list, and the word,
"advanced," unfortunately, means several things, depending on who is using
it. Among the university crowd, it seems to mean one of two things: 1) the
ACTFL level (i.e., Level 2), or 2) anyone in third year or above, regardless
of proficiency level. Among the government crowd, advanced courses have
traditionally referred to student input at Level 3 and output at somewhat
higher. Current FSI "advanced" courses in Russian and French are Level 3
intake with a goal of Level 4 graduate. DLI, as far as I know, has not taught
an advanced course in years (although I was in one as a student in the
1970s—ouch, I just dated myself!); however, the Marshall Center still does, I
believe, with similar level expectations. At DLI, the "intermediate" course
is Level 2 input and, I believe, Level 2+ output is the current goal,
although in my experience, many, if not most, students do achieve Level 3.
So, the differences (that exist or do not exist, depending on whose view is
holding sway) between the ACTFL and ILR scales aside, we do have a
terminology issue.

I simply wanted to clarify the definition I was using as a basis for my
comments, rather than to imply that universities can realistically deliver
"advanced" graduates.

And, of course, there is always the heritage question. One might well end up
with an "advanced" student who does write at a Level 3.

Well, hopefully, I have now clarified and not muddied the waters more!

Betty Lou Leaver

<< Most students in undergraduate Russian programs do not come near superior