Documentary on Russian Sports

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Fri Jan 7 13:50:55 UTC 2000

Wambah at AOL.COM wrote:

> Dear All,
> Would anyone happen to know of a general documentary on Russian or Soviet
> sports, or one which chronicles the life or career of a particular sportsman
> (hockey player, ice skater, etc).
> I would be grateful for any suggestions.

The one documentary I know of is "Are You Going to the Ball?", described in the
our library's (George Washington U.) card catalog below. I highly recommend it.

_Are you going to the ball?_ [videorecording] / Citizen
Exchange Council (New York) with the assistance of The American-Soviet Film
Initiative (Moscow)
Publisher/Date: Oakland, CA : Video Project, 1987.
Series (Searchable by title or keyword): Glasnost film festival 12
Notes: "The glasnost film festival is [22 films in] a 12 videotape collection
representing
the first Soviet documentaries released in the 'glasnost era'." VHS format. In
Russian with English subtitles.
women's gymnastic team. Olga Korbut is featured. (28 min.) 1987.
--
Richard Robin - http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~rrobin
German and Slavic Dept.