Tolstoy help?

Glen Worthey glenw at SULMAIL.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jan 10 11:32:40 UTC 2000

I'm looking for something I recall having seen, but now have somehow
lost: a facsimile of a title page from Tolstoy's journal "Iasnaia
Poliana," displaying the epigraph from Goethe, "Du glaubst zu schieben
und [du] wirst geschoben" (Thomas Winner [1] omits the second "du,"
though it appears in Goethe).  The Jubilee PSS (v.8) has a facsimile
of the  journal's cover, which sports no Goethe; I'm looking for the
title page, which I believe I saw in some volume of Tolstoyana
(memoirs? essays? selections?), probably of Soviet provenance.  Has
any of you stumbled across it?

As far as I can tell (though I would be pleased to be wrong here!),
Tolstoy's journal is not available, even on microfilm, anywhere in the
U.S.  (The PSS includes all of Tolstoy's writings from the journal,
and Professor Winner [2] published reprints of all the original
children's writings from it; but the complete text itself seems to be
nowhere close to home.)  If anyone knows otherwise, please tell!

Thanks,

Glen Worthey
Berkeley/Stanford

[1] "'Glaubst zu schieben und wirst geschoben': Some observations
about Tolstoj's experiments with children's writing."  Slavic poetics:
Essays in honor of Kiril Taranovsky, 1973, 507-524.

[2] Tvorcheskie raboty uchenikov Tolstogo v Yasnoi Polyane.  Ed. and
intro. Thomas G. Winner.  Brown Univ. Slavic Reprint X, 1974.