more on Rublev's Trinity

Emily Tall mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Jan 28 16:26:22 UTC 2000

    Thanks to those who suggested resources on this. One good one was
Hamilton's "Art and ARchitecture of Russia," but a better one, which I
came upon by serendipity, was in "The ARts of Russia," by Kira
Kornilovich, trans. from the Russian in 1967, vol. 1, pp. 121-124. She
gave the best analysis, from the artistic point of view, that I have
seen. I gave every student a beautiful color reproduction of the icon
(they paid, of course) and had them just sit and look at it and talk
about what they saw, supplemented by my comments.  While I'm at it, you
may be interested in the small book, "Behold the Beauty of the Lord:
Praying with Icons," by Henri J. M. Nouwen, which I encountered at a
Chautauqua workshop led by Father (and Prof.) Anthony Ugol'nik. Cheers
to all. Emily Tall