Megapolic or megalopolis

Alexandre Bougakov bougakov at MAIL.RU
Tue Jul 11 15:12:35 UTC 2000

Hello Pavel,

Tuesday, July 11, 2000, 12:37:59 AM, you wrote:

PS> Dear SEELANGERs,

PS> While translating "metropolitan area" into Russian I thought I should use
PS> the word "megapolis". I seem to have encountered the word in many Russian
PS> publications. However, the dictionary would only give "megalopolis" which
PS> looks right ("megalo" meaning huge and "polis" meaning city). But I feel
PS> that "megapolis" should also be right.

PS> What do you think?

Megalopolis  is  geographical term that indicates many big cities with
no  "free"  space  between their suburban areas. This word practically
isn't used at all since there are no such urban areas in Russia.

And megapolis is the big city with at least 5 millions of people. This
word  isn't  used  very  often  -  only  in the case somebody wants to
underline  that  the  city  (usually  Moscow or St.Petersburg - rarely
other large cities) is very big and has sophisticated structure.

The  best translation for "metropolitan area" is "gorodskie rajony" or
simply "gorod".

Cordially, Alexandre Bougakov <mailto:bougakov at mail.ru>

Student of the sociological faculty of the Higher School of Economics
(http://www.hse.ru/fakultet/sociology/default.html), Moscow, Russian
Federation

My website is http://SocioLink.narod.ru/ (thousands of sociology
related links on the Web - in Russian, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4
or higher is required)

My PGP key ID is 0x97F20C99, Key Fingerprint is C83C 5998 F43A BEB7
70DF B8FC CC5E 960E 97F2 0C99 (PGP version is 6.0.2i)

P.S.  There  is a nice rock group called "Megapolis" - find their "Eti
sumachedschie  moskvichki" (I have it in MP3, but the size of the file
is 4MB) and enjoy.