Russian Literature with Environmental Focus

esamson3 esamson3 at HOME.COM
Fri Jul 14 22:37:10 UTC 2000

Helena Goscilo wrote:

> Iurii Nagibin, "By a Quiet Lake"
> Svetlana Vasilenko, "Piggy" and "Going After Goat-Antelopes"
> lyrics of the Liube song "Ne rubite, muzhiki," which you could trans. into
> English in 15 mins.
> (I'm assuming that animals endemic to a given area qualify as part of the
> environment)
>
> Helena Goscilo
>
> --On Thursday, July 13, 2000, 10:22 AM -0700 Kevin M Platt
> <KMFP4747 at POMONA.EDU> wrote:r
>
> > Dear SEELANGers:
> >
> > I'm looking for some literature suggestions.
> <snip>
> >
> > Firstly, I would like something from the 40s and 50s which thematizes
> > postwar reconstruction, late Stalinism and attitudes towards the
> > environment.

<snip>

Some Nagibin stories with environmental themes besides "By a Quiet Lake"
(1963): "Meshchersikie storozha" ("Wardens of the Meshchera District," 1956),
"V rasputitsu" ("Impassable Roads," 1957), "Brakon'er" ("The Poacher," 1965),
"Na kordone" ("The Cordon," 1968). Others: Viktor Astaf'ev, "Tsar-Ryba" ("Queen
Fish," 1977), Daniil Granin, "Kartina" ("The Picture," 1979) (but these latter
are outside the time period requested).

Earl Sampson