Coming undone

David Powelstock d-powelstock at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Jul 29 18:14:47 UTC 2000

According the OED, "undone," in the sense of "Brought to decay or ruin;
ruined, destroyed," has been in use for more than 600 years.  Here is an OED
example that perfectly reflects the modern usage at its most general:

1484 Caxton Fables of Æsop ii. ix, Many one is vndone and lost for faulte of
obedyence.

One's "undoing," then, is one's ruin, brought about by whatever means.  If
the undoing of hair is involved, it is a pun, rather than an etymology.

Cheers,
david