Why students do not study Russian anymore

VShell bobick at ACCESSONE.COM
Tue Jun 6 17:22:19 UTC 2000

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Cheri C Wilson wrote:
> I agree!  It is very difficult to teach a language (any language) to
> native English speakers when they have a poor grasp of English grammar.  I
> have been wondering what students are now being taught about grammar in
> elementary and secondary schools.  When I was an elementary and secondary
> school student in the mid-late 70s through the late 80s, we at least were
> required to sentence diagramming so that we would know how the various
> parts of speech were used, etc.

I am a bit embarassed to admit that although there was a fair amount of
grammar taught at my junior and senior high schools (very good public
schools, BTW), little of it "stuck".  It was not until I studied Russian,
that I finally understood English Grammar.  I have found this knowledge
invaluable in picking up subsequent languages.

-- Stephen Bobick