Andrei Kuraev

Emily Tall mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Mar 3 19:50:55 UTC 2000

Do any of you culture/religion mavens know anything about Deacon Andrei
Kuraev? He's the one who wrote an article saying Russians shouldn't
celebrate the March 8 Women's Day holiday because it was really in honor
of Clara Tsetlin and it was really a secret way to celebrate Purim. I
had asked a student to get me some examples of anti-semitic literature
from Russia (in preparation for my course on "The Russian-Jewish
Experience") and this is one of the things she brought (a collection of
his articles). I recall an article on the "Purim" story from the
NYTimes, last year, I think. Who is this Kuraev? Thanks, Emily Tall