Sher's Russian Index is back ONLINE

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sun Mar 5 02:05:12 UTC 2000

Dear friends:

The "new and improved" Index is now ONLINE at last, after a year's
absence.

I hope you like the new format and look.

NOTE: I still need to check EACH link. Many are dead by now. I will also
ADD all sites that I have been asked to this past year. I have kept
copies of each request and will get to it in the next few days. Feel
free to suggest any new quality Russian sites (Russian only), and I will
be glad to consider them.

Please give me your critical opinion of the site. I am especially
worried about one thing: I want each bookmark entry to take up ONE and
only ONE line. It looks fine on my Netscape 4.70 and 15-inch monitor
with 800 x 600 resolution, but how does it look on your browser, monitor
and with your resolution. You may have noticed that I made the bookmark
entries a little larger than usual. I got tired of squinting my eyes,
and I'll bet that many of your did, too. If the lines are too long, I'll
just trim them further. That's easy to do. But please report to me any
problems or anomalies along the way.

I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to a young Danish
computer scientist by the name of Jens Jakob Jensen from Copenhagen,
Denmark (email: jjj at email.dk), who heard about my predicament from his
father, who is a member of SEELANGS. We decided to use a program called
"bk2site", which can convert your Netscape bookmarks to a Yahoo-like
webpage (http://bk2site.sourceforge.net/).

Unfortunately, you really have to be a programmer to learn how to use
this Unix/Linux tool. And this is where Jens stepped in. He went out of
his way to guide me step-by-step, to do most of the coding for me and to
help me unselfishly in every possible way. My thanks to him and to his
father.

I would like to show my appreciation to Jens by making a brief ONE-TIME
plug for a special Russian-related computer project that Jens and his
father are working on called "Ozwix Data", where they help people write
Russian and Danish in the same document (keyboard layouts etc.). Their
latest contribution is a CD (made in Java), included with a book, which
lets Danish speaking students learn Russian. They made it in cooperation
with four Russian teachers.

My thanks to everyone for your patience and understanding. I hope the
new Index will indeed be "new and improved". It will allow everyone to
download the Index page much faster and will even allow you to bookmark
a specific section. For me, bk2site simplifies everything. It even
uploads the updated Netscape file automatically to my web server. All I
have to do is type "makeIndex" and bk2site does everything else. Of
course, that's thanks to the customization and optimization provided by
Jens.

And, oh, how do you like the new cool interface?

OK, folks, enjoy!

Benjamin

--
Benjamin and Anna Sher