English calques and pseudo-anglicisms in Russian, Czech & Slovenian phraseology

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Tue Mar 7 12:32:59 UTC 2000

A propos Heinrich Pfandl's reference to pseudo-anglicisms, I would be
grateful for reports of any sightings of the term fejs kontrol'/face
control (meaning 'door entry policy at a night-club, bar etc.') in any
language other than Russian (but including English).  I had always assumed
that this was a good example of a word made up in Russian out of (sort of)
English  elements, but have been reliably informed that the same term is
used in Greek, which would seem to suggest a different origin.

Please reply off-list.

John Dunn.

>I would like to collect some such phraseologic calques of English in
>Russian, Slovenian and Czech as well as pseudo-anglicisms in these
>languages and would be grateful to you, if you could send me such examples.
>Examples from other Slavic languages are also accepted. Please, reply to
>the list or off-list, as you prefer.
>
>HP

John Dunn
Department of Slavonic Languages