face control

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Mar 8 21:09:52 UTC 2000

A quick scamper round the websites for Russian clubs shows the matter to be a
little more complicated in that most clubs advertise that admittance is via
'face control' - but the words are always given in untransliterated English. I
also found a couple of Greek sites also using untransliterated 'face control'
in the same way.
Will Ryan

John Dunn wrote:

> Thanks to colleagues for the comments on fejs kontrol'.  It seems that the
> source is German Gesichtskontrolle, though whether the Russian is a
> translation into English is a moot point, since, as Valery Belyanin has
> demonstrated, fejs, as well as kontrol', is well enough established in
> Russian.  I have, however, been muddying the linguistic waters by trying to
> persuade my students casually to introduce the word into their English
> conversation.
>
> >Dear Hans! Russians may say:
> >Do you pivo everyday (duju = pju. shutlivo o pive)
> >Fajsom ob table. (o drake)
> >Shutlivyj dialog: Which watc? Six clock. Such much?
>
> Subscribers to the list with a mis-spent youth will recognise this as a
> variation on a snatch of dialogue from the film 'Casablanca', though no
> doubt the joke is even older.
>
> to whom how. Ty sto
> >tozhe v injaxe uchilsa?
> >Oups. (imenno o-u-ps)
> >Hi everybody! (privetstvije)
> >You did it! On ih sdelal! Ja ego (ih) sdelaju!
> >Vopros: Po inglishu spikaesh'?
> >Gutten Morgen gutten Tug. trah po morde vot tak tak. (from German)
> >chiao-cacao. (a la Italian)
> >
> >You may also find a lot in my "Zhivaja Rech' " (Belyanin, outenko Moscow
> >1994.)
> >Valery Belyanin. vbelyanin at mtu-net.ru,
>
> Perhaps I could add an endorsement for 'Zhivaja rech' with a request for a
> second, updated edition.
>
> And finally could anyone tell me (off-list) whether an establishment
> selling pizza in slices is known in North American English as a slice-bar.
> I came across slajs bar/ slice bar (bilingually) on a Moscow pizzeria, but
> have never seen the term anywhere else.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Dunn.
>
> John Dunn
> Department of Slavonic Languages
> Hetherington Building
> University of Glasgow
> Glasgow
> G12 8RS
> Great Britain
>
> Telephone (+44) 141 330-5591
> Fax       (+44) 141 330-5593
> e-mail    J.Dunn at slavonic.arts.gla.ac.uk

>                http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

W. F. Ryan, MA, DPhil, FSA
Warburg Institute (School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square, LONDON  WC1H 0AB
tel: 020 7862 8940 (direct)
tel: 020 7862 8949 (switchboard)
fax: 020 7862 8939