Stress

Edward Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Sat Mar 11 22:10:16 UTC 2000

Elizabeth Ginzburg wrote:

> Vykhodtsy s Ukrainy (zhivuschie v Amerike, v osobennosti!) i seichas
> govoriat  pOnjala, a v derevne pod Moskvoi - dazhe ponjAl!
> Neither the former nor the latter I believe would be a reason
> to teach our students such  forms!
> My granparents, though, used only the pOnjala form (they were from
> a "mestechko").
> In fact, only my grandparents were the people from who I heard this pOnjala. but in one village I did hear ponjalA- ponJAl.
> Liza Ginzburg

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Sorry for this belated message.
I hoped that somebody would pick it up but it does not seem to be the case.
As Ralph Cleminson mentions, Avanesov (1959) gives ponjal'a and specifically marks p'onjala as
incorrect. However, it means for a formal speech only since the very mark of p'onjala as incorrect indicates that sometimes it
has been used.  So, the only question is when it can be used INTENTIONALLY by a native speaker who is aware of its incorrect
usage in a formal speech.
The answer is that this shift of the stress from the "correct" usage to the "incorrect" one is done intentionally by a native
speaker to create a style of a friendly joke either just to make the response more colorful or to add an informal "of course"
meaning to the response, or both.
So,  this phenomenon of a stress shift should be clearly taken into account in order to fully understand a probable meaning of
a dialog between native speakers.
I would certainly teach this aspect of the stress shift, contrary to the opinion of Elizabeth Ginzburg,
but, of course, it is for advanced students only.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>