Stress

Adassovsky Georges gadassov at WANADOO.FR
Sun Mar 12 18:34:56 UTC 2000

Edward Dumanis wrote:

>Sorry for this belated message.
>I hoped that somebody would pick it up but it does not seem to be the case.
>As Ralph Cleminson mentions, Avanesov (1959) gives ponjal'a and
>specifically marks p'onjala as
>incorrect. However, it means for a formal speech only since the very mark
>of p'onjala as incorrect indicates that sometimes it
>has been used.  So, the only question is when it can be used INTENTIONALLY
>by a native speaker who is aware of its incorrect
>usage in a formal speech.
>The answer is that this shift of the stress from the "correct" usage to
>the "incorrect" one is done intentionally by a native
>speaker to create a style of a friendly joke either just to make the
>response more colorful or to add an informal "of course"
>meaning to the response, or both.
>So,  this phenomenon of a stress shift should be clearly taken into
>account in order to fully understand a probable meaning of
>a dialog between native speakers.
>I would certainly teach this aspect of the stress shift, contrary to the
>opinion of Elizabeth Ginzburg,
>but, of course, it is for advanced students only.

I believe people said pOnjala at the beginning of the XX century , and the
evolution of language made a new stress ponjalA later. It's the reason for
which I asked if a member of this list had the possibility to consult a
1900 dictionnary.
I have always heard the 1920 emigrants in France, who wrote with bukva
jat', tvjordye znaki everywhere and simple "i", say pOnjala.
Maybe I am wrong, and the circles I frequented were more Ukrainian than
Russian. But at this time, blagorodnye, even from Ukraina, received a
classical education.

By the way, what about:
negative form: ja ne ponjala ?
And about: