Eavesdropping summary

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Sun Mar 19 21:21:04 UTC 2000

Colleagues continue to come up with additional references to
eavesdropping in Russian literature.  In case any of you are composing
the old-fashioned kind of Ph.D. oral exam for graduate students in
Russian literature and want to use my question, here are the answers so
far (in English alphabetical order):
    Afanas'ev                miscellaneous folktales
    Artsybashev            Sanin
    Bulgakov                Master i Margarita
    Chekhov                The Name-day Party
    Chernyshevskii       What Is to Be Done?
    Dostoevsky            Crime and Punishment
    Gan                        Ideal
    Gogol'                    Diary of a Madman, the Inspector General
    Lermontov             A Hero of Our Time
    Nabokov               The Eavesdropper (Sogliatai)
    Pasternak               Povest'
    Pushkin                  The Queen of Spades
    Sinyavsky              A Voice from the Chorus
    Tolstoy                  War and Peace
    Turgenev                Fathers and Children, Diary of a Superfluous
Man, Bezhin
                                    Meadow,  Asya, First Love, Yermolai
& the Miller's Wife..

Two respondents cited Nabokov's analysis of eavesdropping scenes in the
introduction to his translation of _Hero of Our Time_, and Professor
Robert Reid mentioned his own article in the 1977 _New Zealand Slavonic
Journal_, "Eavesdropping in _A Hero of Our Time_."

Many thanks again to all respondents.
                                                                    Bob
Rothstein